Sa Tagalog!

Kamusta y'all!
     I'm not sure if this has been the longest or shortest week ever. But I have learned so much everyday. My kasama, Sister Topham, is so fun and because we're both new we get to struggle and figure things out together.
   I've been told the work here goes in waves, and right now we're on the downhill. Which means we haven't found any new people to teach, most of the people we're teaching are busy and don't make time to talk to us, and some of the people we're teaching have dropped us. That isn't the most fun thing ever, but we just keep on working.
    This last week we've met with the members a lot in order for me to get some practice teaching, and to ask for any referrals. The members in the St. Johns ward are so nice and generous. Apparently during most of the year they feed us almost every day, but because it's summer we've been getting fed about four times a week. We're pretty spoiled. But I will warn you, beware of having dinner with the Bishop, because he might ask you to speak in Sacrament Meeting. On a completely unrelated note, I'm going to be speaking in Sacrament Meeting next Sunday.
    I got my bike fixed! One of the elders in my district worked at a bike shop, and he was able to fix it after our district council. Which was really good, because we can only drive a limited amount and we're running low on miles. Unfortunately, I am not yet fond of biking. Biking while wearing a skirt is difficult, but manageable. And I haven't ridden a bike in several years, so I am very out of shape. ...we're working on it.
    We had a Pioneer Day celebration on Saturday, and it was super fun! And a lady we're teaching named Mais and her two girls were there. They had a lot of fun, and the members were so welcoming and fun.
   I taught my first lesson in Tagalog!!! There's a recent convert in the ward who is a native Filipino. He invited us over for Filipino food and to practice Tagalog. He talked a lot about the culture in the Philippines which was really cool. The food was good and the Tagalog was... difficult, but also good. We taught the Restoration the way we had with other families, except when it was my turn I would teach in Tagalog. It was the brokenest clumsiest Tagalog ever, but he was able to understand most of what I said! He said he'd never met a non-Filipino who could speak Tagalog so well, which isn't saying too much because he hasn't met very many people trying to speak Tagalog. But that experience really boosted my confidence, though I've definitely got a long way to go.
     For service we shovel manure for a sweet old lady, which is way more fun than I expected it to be. She asks us some questions about our church and we answer them. I've been enjoying learning about the different religions in the area and what people believe. It has rained so much, and we've been drenched a few times, but I still love it. We've had so many thunderstorms, and it hasn't been too hot, but still quite hot.
   Some things have gotten easier, and some things haven't. We have good days and bad days. But I am so grateful to be in Florida and for the wonderful people I've met. I know there are people here for us to teach, and that's why we go out every day to find them.
   Ingat y'all!
      Sister Harrison

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Surprise!

Pagpapasalamat